Consuming healthy foods, beverages, and snacks, and getting regular physical activity may help you reach and maintain a healthy body weight. Making suitable lifestyle choices may also help men and women prevent some health problems.
Here’s a quick overview of some ways to eat better and be more active.
• Choose whole grains more often. Try whole-wheat breads and pastas, oatmeal, or brown rice.
• Select a mix of colorful vegetables. Vegetables of different colors provide a variety of nutrients. Try collards, kale, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes.
• At restaurants, eat only half of your meal and take the rest home.
• Walk in parks, around a track, or in your neighborhood with your family or friends.
• Make getting physical activity a priority.
• Try to do at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, like biking or brisk walking.
• If your time is limited, work in small amounts of activity throughout your day.
Being aware of food portion size, the kinds of foods and beverages you consume, and how often you have them may be a step to help you make healthier food choices.
Many people feel stress in their daily lives. Stress can cause you to overeat, feel tired, and not want to be active. Healthy eating and regular physical activity may help offset the effects of stress.